If you have one or more stained teeth, there could be many factors contributing to your tooth discoloration. The foods you eat, how you care for your smile, and even your genetics can play a part in tooth staining. We will review some of the most common causes of tooth discoloration and how you can whiten tooth stains in our Calgary, AB, dental office.
Top Causes of Discolored Teeth
Some of the most common causes of yellowing, discolored, and stained teeth include:
- Foods and Drinks: Certain foods and beverages, including berries, coffee, tea, wine, and contain chromogens. Chromogens are dyes that can darken and discolor tooth enamel over time.
- Poor Oral Hygiene: If you do not brush and floss enough, bacteria and food stains can build up on the tooth enamel. Poor oral hygiene can also leave you prone to gum or tooth infections. Dietary acids and harmful bacteria can also cause demineralization that creates brown and white spots on the enamel.
- Medications and Medical Conditions: Antihistamines, antipsychotics, and other medicines can have tooth discoloration as a side effect.
- Genetics: Sometimes, you can inherit more fragile tooth enamel that is prone to breaking and staining. If you already have weakened teeth prone to damage, you can easily accumulate tooth stains.
- Injuries: Breaks or hits to teeth can immediately darken the tooth enamel. You may notice that your teeth appear grey after a dental injury. This is because the teeth do not have adequate blood flow. The tooth can remain discolored or die if there is not enough blood flow to the tooth.
- Age: As you age, you can experience tooth wear that exposes the dentin or darker underlayer beneath the enamel. Dentin can make your teeth appear discolored.
Treating Tooth Stains in Calgary, AB
Professional teeth whitening is one of the best ways to remove tooth stains and brighten a smile. In-office teeth whitening can lift tooth stains in just under an hour. You may benefit from take-home whitening for touch-ups or if you want a more gradual treatment. If you have a dental injury or weakened teeth, we may recommend tooth bonding treatment or porcelain veneers. Dental bonding uses malleable materials that we mold to teeth. With bonding materials, we can add structure to teeth if patients experience dental damage and discoloration.
Veneers are shell-like porcelain restorations that fully cover the front of each tooth. Dental veneers cover one or more discolored teeth in the smile line and can also create a more balanced look if you have smaller tooth imperfections. Bioclear is a modern restoration and alternative to dental bonding for patients with injuries and discoloration. This treatment adds to the existing tooth structure to close gaps, black triangles, and tooth damage.
Dr. Shruti Chahal is happy to help patients reach their cosmetic goals with treatment that brightens and whitens their smiles. You may request a dental appointment with Dr. Shruti Chahal online or call Foothills Dentistry today at (587) 410-0821.