TMJ Therapy An Overview
Jaw pain and discomfort, frequent headaches and teeth that appear worn or are cracked are all common signs of a TMJ disorder. Related to the function and/or structure of the bite, TMJ disorders can have a progressive detrimental impact on your overall oral health and your quality of life.
Dr. Chahal provides diagnosis and comprehensive dental care for TMJ disorders, taking the time to fully evaluate all aspects of your teeth, gums and jaw joints for results that reduce discomfort and support long-term dental health.
Common Signs of a TMJ Disorder
- Jaw pain, “tired jaws”
- Neck pain
- Headaches, especially in the morning
- Ear pain, ringing in the ears
- Worn teeth, tooth damage
- Popping or clicking jaw sounds, especially when chewing or speaking
What is “TMJ”?
The term “TMJ” has become a common name for a range of bite problems related to the temporomandibular joint, or TMJ. This is the jaw joint that connects the skull and the lower mandible.
There are varying reasons for a patient to experience discomfort or to have a bite that is not functioning properly and leading to tooth damage and other problems. From genetic structural concerns with the jaw to damage as a result of trauma or teeth grinding, Dr. Chahal will work with you to identify the underlying cause and address it as a part of your overall treatment. In many cases, misalignment of the teeth is causing dysfunction in the bite and may lead to teeth grinding and jaw clenching.
TMJ Therapy What to Expect
Dr. Chahal offers experienced, compassionate care for patients that suffer from a TMJ disorder. She will thoroughly evaluate your bite, including the function of the TMJ or jaw joint. Using advanced technology that can evaluate how the bite is functioning and help to identify where there is friction that may be the cause of your discomfort. Treatment is personalized to your unique symptoms and needs.
Diagnosing TMJ: The Technology Advantage
Dr. Chahal takes a comprehensive approach to your oral health care, especially when diagnosing a bite disorder. Thorough evaluation and treatment planning is the key to a lasting result that will stabilize your dental health. She uses advanced digital technology when taking x-rays and scans for an in-depth look at your oral structure.
- Tekscan®: also known as T-scan, this handheld device allows Dr. Chahal to accurately measure the biting forces in your mouth, providing feedback for each tooth to determine where an imbalance may be. This information allows Dr. Chahal to go beyond addressing just the symptoms of TMJ, offering treatment designed to re-establish a healthy, stable and lasting oral foundation.
Treatment Options for TMJ
We offer conservative, personalized TMJ therapy in Calgary. Treatment will vary from patient to patient and can include one or more procedures or treatments to restore a healthy, comfortable bite.
- Mouthguard, splint therapy: the most conservative and first line of treatment is often a custom-made mouthguard or bite splint. Your oral appliance will be designed to help your jaw rest more comfortably in a natural position to minimize tooth grinding and muscle tension.
- Restorative dentistry: To address worn or damaged teeth, or to adjust the biting surface for proper tooth contact, Dr. Chahal may recommend a restorative treatment such as bonding or a dental crown.
- Orthodontics: if malocclusion is the source of your bite problem, we offer orthodontics including Invisalign clear braces.