Do you have a damaged or worn tooth? Are you looking for a way to cover a dental injury? Dental crowns can help. Crowns are cap-like dental restorations that can cover and protect your teeth. We often use dental crowns to cap off dental implants, protect teeth after root canal treatments, and cover wear and damage. But which type of crown is right for your needs? Traditional or same-day? Our dental office offers convenient same-day dental crowns for patients in Calgary, AB. Here we will compare traditional and same-day crown treatments.
Traditional Dental Crowns
Treatment with traditional dental crowns:
- Uses metal and porcelain materials: Lab-made dental crowns are crafted from gold, metal alloys, or porcelain fused to metal. Traditional dental crowns often stick out when you smile unless they cover the back molars. While many traditional crowns do not blend in with the smile, they offer durability and protection.
- Often uses traditional impressions: Traditional dental impressions use a gooey, bitter-tasting paste. This type of dental impression leaves room for user error and is uncomfortable for patients.
- Takes weeks: It can take weeks to complete traditional dental crown treatment, from your first examination to receiving your completed crowns. Dentists must send impressions to a dental lab and wait several weeks until the crowns are complete to place them on teeth.
Same-Day Crowns in Calgary, AB
Alternatively, same-day dental crown treatment provides the following:
- Crowns using porcelain or ceramic: Ceramic crowns, also known as porcelain dental crowns, easily blend in with the smile. Traditional full metal dental crowns are much more noticeable than ceramic crowns, even if they cover the molars in the back of the mouth. Porcelain crowns blend in with the natural color of your teeth. We color-match crowns to ensure the best results. These crowns also benefit patients who have sensitivities or allergies to certain metals. Porcelain dental crowns are color-matched to the shade of natural teeth. They can also brighten discolored and damaged teeth. With the right care, these crowns can last for decades.
- Uses digital impressions: Unlike traditional impressions, digital impressions do not require messy, goopy materials. We take digital impressions for dental crowns using a handheld wand. This wand takes images of the teeth and displays them on a computer.
- Quick, efficient treatment: We use the CEREC system to take impressions and create crowns for patients in one office visit. Patients do not need to wait for weeks to receive a natural-looking, comfortable restoration.
Are you looking for a more efficient alternative to traditional tooth crowns? Call Dr. Shruti Chahal for same-day dental crown treatment today at (587) 410-0821. On our website, you can also request a dental appointment with Dr. Shruti Chahal. She will be happy to answer any questions about treatment.